Vanha foorumi

Takaisin

Bee Shamans

Zin Letters -tekijäfoorumi
Vesa 15. kesäkuuta 2007 kello 3.21
Kirjoittaja Viesti
Vesa linkki 15. kesäkuuta 2007 kello 3.21
Vesa 15. kesäkuuta 2007 kello 3.21 linkki [b:a5c47923d2]Bee shamans[/b:a5c47923d2] [i:a5c47923d2]While I was living with the Agimori, I received the fortuitous chance to deepen my understanding of their shaman culture. I had heard rumours of the peculiar bee shamans that the Agimori hold in great value. As I got in closer relation with Vuai and his family, I ventured to ask about the bee shamans. They do not seem to be any special secret among the Agimori, since Vuai was more than happy to tell me about them. According to Vuai's story, the bee shamans live isolated from other Agimori, usually near oases where the sacred bees also nest. The bee shamans are usually women - since bees always work for their queen- but in concordance with the equality between men and women that is so pervasive among the Agimori, male shamans are not unheard of. But it is harder for a man to become a shaman, so they are very rare. When I asked about the connection between the Agimori and the bees, Vuai told me a myth from the times of the Greater Darkness. In the myth, Gahiji struck a deal with the Bee Goddess. The times were hard: hungry and cold, the Agimori searched desperately for food. Gahiji knew the bees had stored rich and tasty honey in their beehives. The other tribes knew this as well, but their attempts to steal honey from the nests always ended with the bees stinging them painfully, sometimes even to death. The Agimori were known for their thick skin, and very quickly the bees discovered - to their great horror - that their stingers could not penetrate the skin of the Agimori. The bees were in shock: this meant that the Agimori could ruin them by stealing all their honey. But Gahiji was understanding to the bees' despair. He was only hungry, not out to kill the bees. Gahiji and the Bee Goddess made a deal, in which the Agimori were allowed to gather honey from the beehives, but only for their own use. In return, the Agimori agreed to send some of their people to care for and protect the beehives. The bee shamans give the Agimori the sacred honey that is used in their resurrection rituals. The rituals are also conducted by the bee shamans. In these rituals, the shamans take the form of a great swarm of bees and travel all the way to the Land of the Dead to bring back the spirit of the deceased. The magical honey is applied all over the body of the deceased. This ritual also has a mythic origin: during the Greater Darkness, Chaos attacked Gahiji by surprise and killed him. The Agimori requested the Bee Goddess to bring back Gahiji, since they knew the bees were able fly to the Land of the Dead. Agimori warriors going into battle can also ask the protection of the bees. For the warriors, the Bee Goddess sends a great bee swarm to attack against the enemy of the Agimori. The more time and energy is sacrificed in the preparing ritual, the greater the bee swarm that is sent to make life hell for the enemy. The bee shamans and the Caladra Land bee people are in close contact with one another. This is mainly because of historical events reaching far back into the Second Age. The wasp people of Dragonpass were about to destroy the bee people of Caladra Land, but the Bee Goddess sent the Agimori in their rescue and together they were able to fend off the wasp people's attack. The Agimori saved the Caladra Land bee people from certain annihilation and since then they have always been welcomed among the bee people. I have yet to meet one of these bee shamans myself, but Vuai assured me there would be an opportunity for that. But since I am an outsider, I would have to make a sacrifice to the Bee Goddess: I would have to give her the gift of water, meaning I would have to shed my tears or my blood for her. In Prax, water is precious, especially so for the bees: water means plants can grow. Plants mean flowers, and flowers mean nectar, which the bees need in order to survive. The Agimori themselves take presents to the bee shamans, whenever they visit them. The presents are usually food, jewelry or ornaments. Physically, the bee shamans are more delicate than the ordinary Agimori, since they lead a sedentary life and do not have the need for physical strength. The bee shamans are always surrounded by the bees they protect, but the bees never even try to sting the shaman.[/i:a5c47923d2] No niin, nyt on tämänkin jutun käännös Garrikin tarkistusta vaille valmis. Sieltä yhden sanan muutin jo, koska ainakin omaan korvaani se kuulosti paremmalta. Eli kun oli puhe agimorien paksusta nahasta, siihen kääntäjä oli laittanut että "thick hide" mutta muutin "hide" sanan "skin" sanaksi.
Ugly Psycho linkki 18. kesäkuuta 2007 kello 8.19
Ugly Psycho 18. kesäkuuta 2007 kello 8.19 linkki Yksittäisenä pikkuhuomiona: Eikös Caladraland ole yleensä kirjoitettu yhteen?
Vesa linkki 22. elokuuta 2007 kello 13.52
Vesa 22. elokuuta 2007 kello 13.52 linkki [i:e292e809e6] humis kirjoitti: Aniharvoin jotain kulttuurissa tehdään vain koska Gahiji sattui jumalajalla tapaamaan mehiläisen. Miksi Gahiji ylipäänsä armahti mehiläistä, hänhän olisi hyvin voinut vaan kovan nahkansa turvin kävellä tämän yli miten huvittaa. Jos tämä ilmentää jotenkin Gahijin luonnetta (ja huom, siten myös agimorimiehen kulttuurisia odotuksia!), siitä olisi mukava kuulla sananen, tyyliin "Gahiji remembered the words of her Grandmother, telling him to not cause unneeded suffering" tms, mikä nyt agimoreille sitten sopiikaan.[/i:e292e809e6] Hyvä pointti. Toki aikaisemminkin olisi näitä voitu esittää. No se mitän olen miettinyt tähän on se että Gahiji tosiaan on metsästäjä. Oikeamielinen voisi olla jokseenkin hyvä adjektiivi kuvaamaan agimorimetsästäjää ja olisi syytä huomioida homeland kuvauksessa. Todellinen metsästäjä ei ole säälimätön tappaja. Gahiji metsästää/pyydystää nälkäänsä, ei tapa tai tuhoa säälimättömästi. Jos Gahiji olisi ahneuksissaan tuhonnut mehiläisten pesän ja anastanut kaiken hunajan olisi tuo Gahijin polussakin esillä ollut Ahneus hänet päihittänyt. Hunaja tai muukin riista loppuu jos sitä ahnehditaan yli oman tarpeensa. Tämä piirre näkyy myös agimoreissa tänä päivänä. Ei biisoneja tai muita eläimiä lahdata silmittömästi ja ahneesti. Tuskinpa orlanthienkaan keskuudessa Odayla katsotaan ahneeksi ja säälimättömäksi saalistajaksi. Siinä nyt muutamia aatoksia ja pointteja mitä tuli esiin, jos tämä selvitti asiaa tarpeeksi niin lisään sen kyllä viralliseen tekstiinkin sopivasti selitettynä.
humis linkki 22. elokuuta 2007 kello 14.15
humis 22. elokuuta 2007 kello 14.15 linkki Selvittää. Lisää ihmeessä. Erityisesti suora ristiviittaus Ahneuden vaaraan rulettaisi. (Tämä on muuten juuri sama juttu kuin tuossa Helerin sankarimatka -ketjussa. Asiat ja merkitykset ovat ehkä selviä kirjoittajan päässä, mutta lukijalle ne eivät samalla tavalla ilman apuja ja kommentointia aukea). Mmmuuten, ainakin jossain virallisessa agimori-jutussa jonka luin sanottiin, että agimorit eivät metsästä muiden heimojen eläimiä, ja tämä olisi yksi tärkeä poliittisen rauhan ylläpitämisen elementti agimorien ekologisessa ympäristössä (kun tuolla puhutaan biisoneiden metsästämisestä).
Vesa linkki 22. elokuuta 2007 kello 14.20
Vesa 22. elokuuta 2007 kello 14.20 linkki [quote:4603b85c29="humis"] Mmmuuten, ainakin jossain virallisessa agimori-jutussa jonka luin sanottiin, että agimorit eivät metsästä muiden heimojen eläimiä, ja tämä olisi yksi tärkeä poliittisen rauhan ylläpitämisen elementti agimorien ekologisessa ympäristössä (kun tuolla puhutaan biisoneiden metsästämisestä).[/quote:4603b85c29] Itse en ole ainakaan moista lukenut ja biisonit tosiaan mainitaan esimerkiksi metsästysartikkelissa. No otetaan selvää missä virallisesti näin sanotaan ja sovelletaan tekstiä sitten niin, että agimorit metsästävät biisoneja villeistä laumoista. Kuitenkin, eivätkös kaikki Praxin heimot raidaa toisiaan?